Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New YorkOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME, Early Neutral Evaluation, Facilitation & Systems Design, Fact Finding, Med-Arb, Special Master
- Practice Commenced: 1980
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2020): 2000
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2020): 3000
Joan has acted as both a mediator and arbitrator for over 30 years. In her employment practice, Joan has arbitrated and mediated dozens of disputes involving sex and age discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, EEOC, ADEA, partnership dissolutions, and a broad range of contract disputes.
She is in private practice as a labor-management and employment arbitrator and mediator with a strong client base in both the private and public sectors. Joan has adjudicated a broad range of labor and employment disputes in such industries as printing, trucking, food, transportation, pharmaceutical, steel, casino, chemical, paper, broadcasting, manufacturing, mining, communications, petroleum, hotel, utilities, railroad, and professional sports. She has worked in all areas of public employment and currently serves as a permanent umpire under national collective bargaining agreements between many many major corporations and unions.
Joan is co-founder and a principal of Dispute Resolution Associates, a firm which conducts fact-finding investigations and provides mediation services in disputes involving both statutory and contractual claims.
Joan is professor emeritus at the School of Management and Labor Relations, Rutgers University, where she continues to serve as a visiting lecturer. She has authored two books and numerous articles on dispute resolution, labor and employment law, and industrial relations. She is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences across the country.
- ADA Disability
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Entertainment Sector
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Media & Communications
- Non-profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Professional Fees
- Railroad & Trucking
- Sexual Harassment
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
Cornell University, N.Y.S. School of Industrial & Labor Relations, Ithaca, NY Ph.D., M.S.; B.S., summa cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, National Academy of Arbitrators
- Senior Fellow, International Academy of Mediators
- Member, National Association of Railroad Referees
- Member, Labor and Employment Research Association
- Vice Chair, Labor Management Task Force, American Arbitration Association
- Chair, Employment Arbitration Advisory Council, American Arbitration Association
- Member, Federal Reserve System Labor Relations Panel
- Member, Board of Governors, Erivan Haub School of Business, St. Joseph's University
- National Labor Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Commercial Arbitration Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Employment Arbitration Panel, American Arbitration Association
- National Mediation Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Arbitration and Mediation Panels, NJ Public Employment Relations Commission
- Arbitration Panel, National Mediation Board
- Arbitration Panel, Pennsylvania Bureau of Mediation
For employment and commercial arbitration hearings: $500per hour for study/writing time. Also bills for travel expenses and travel time, depending on location.
For labor arbitration, $2,400 per diem for hearing and study/writing time, plus travel expenses. Also bills for travel time, depending on location.
Cancellation policy: A full per diem fee will be charged if an arbitration hearing is postponed or cancelled with less than 20 business days notice prior to the hearing.
For mediations, if a scheduled mediation is cancelled or postponed with less than 20 business days notice, five hours at the regular hourly rate will be charged.